Good news, you now no longer need to run a competition via a third party app! Now, a lot of Pages were already doing this but now Facebook has made it official, so no more risk of having your Page being reported or removed by the powers that be.
You can now run competitions via your Page Wall and/or via a specifically designed Tab using a third party app on Facebook:
- • Collect entries by getting fans and non-fans posting on the Page Wall
- • Collect entries by fans and non-fans commenting or liking on a Page Post
- • Collect entries by getting fans and non-fans to message the Page
- • Collect entries via new Likes – New Fans or Post Likes
The new Pages terms now prohibit Pages from tagging or encouraging people to tag themselves in Photos to enter a competition. You CAN ask people to submit names of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize but you CAN’T to ask people tag themselves in pictures of a new product in exchange for a chance to win a prize, i.e. tag themselves in content that they are not actually depicted in. The official announcement in full details can be found here and Facebook continues to stress they are in no way responsible or associated with any promotion you choose to run – you are expected to regulate it not them!
No official news on whether Sharing a post is included in these new terms, though Sharing relies on a user’s Facebook settings to be public for effective monitoring. There are still advantages in running a promotion via a Tab, for example you can data capture, add a more sophisticated entry mechanism, redirect to your website or point of purchase and most importantly ensure you have T&Cs to support your promotion. One clear advantage is allowing fans to enter via smart phones and tablets which is still a major flaw of Competition Fan Page Tabs.
Here are few ideas you could do on your Page to increase your engagement:
- • 1000th online new customer to Like a shop’s Fan Page wins an ultimate welcome goody bag
- • Name the item you’d like to win featured in a photo montage by commenting on a Photo
- • 50th person to comment with the correct song lyric
- • Guess the correct answer to a video message
- • Add your comment to a Photo Caption competition
Remember, this only applies to Pages not Personal Profiles so no promotions on personal Timeline!